Here’s a complete review of Yamaha P255B 88-Key Digital Piano, its one of the best 88-key digital pianos in its class, especially if you’re keen on top-notch piano sounds and a simplified feature-list.
There are several good piano players, who have learnt and played on acoustic pianos for many years, who would prefer to own a nice digital piano because of the convenience it offers (portability of course). However, they don’t want to compromise on the quality of the piano sounds and the keyboard touch, besides they are not really keen to have hundreds of sounds and tons of features on their keyboard. For them, the P-255B is a perfect portable digital piano.
Most recent model in the P series of digital pianos from Yamaha, this piano has excellent keyboard touch and several authentic piano samples, in addition to the various gig-ready features. The sound quality is much better (simulates the various resonances that are generated on the top-end acoustic pianos).
Table of Contents
PROS AND CONS of YAMAHA P255 DIGITAL PIANO
- PROS: 256 note polyphony, Exhaustive connectivity options, Powerful and high quality inbuilt
- CONS: Expensive (it does offer great value for money though), No LCD display (you don’t need it though on this piano)
Yamaha P255 Features
Here are the main features of the Yamaha P255 88-Key Digital Piano:
- Better action, Graded Hammer (GH) action with Synthetic Ivory keytops
- Upgraded Sound Engine (several top quality piano samples)
- Uses Sustain & Key-off samples, Damper & String Resonance
- Live Music Toolbox – 3-Band graphic EQ, Sound Boost Button , Speaker Kill Switch – makes it suitable for gigs and other situations
- Panel Lock to prevent accidental changes
- 24 Voices with Dual/Split capability
- 3.5mm stereo- mini Aux input & Aux line out
- Free P-255 Controller App that lets your iOS device control several features of this piano
- Optional 3- pedal unit (LP-255) & matching stand (L-255)
- USB TO HOST, TO DEVICE & 5- pin DIN MIDI in/out
- Internal 15w (x2) amplifiers, 10cm + 2.5cm (x2) speakers
- Shipping Weight: 52 lbs
- Finish: Ebony, white
Watch: Yamaha P255 Digital Piano Video Demos
To hear better sound samples of the p-255, you may download this iOS app and listen to the samples that are recorded. Here’s the link – itunes.apple.com
Here are more sound samples.
This piano has some great grand piano sounds, and even the other sounds are fine — rhodes, hammond organ, strings. The good thing is that even the internal speakers are top quality, so you may just use those to practice piano, without having to route it through amps.
Here are some alternatives to the Yamaha P255:
- Yamaha P-115 (one step below in this series)
- Yamaha YDP-163 (superb upright digital piano)
- Casio PX-860 (Great Value for Money)
- Yamaha DGX-660 (Similar to the P255 in tonal quality and touch, but comes with accompaniments and many more features)
Overall, a great digital piano from Yamaha that is sure to impress. Plenty of voice options, 256 note polyphony, graded hammer action keys and the ivory textured finish makes you feel as if you’re playing a real acoustic piano. You can still opt for other Brands, such as Kawai MP or the Casio Privia pianos, but the Yamaha P255 digital piano has a much better sound (simulates the various resonances) and has several gig-ready features. Yamaha P255 comes loaded with features that make this digital piano perfect for all musicians, from the beginner right up to the skilled pianist.
Yamaha P255: Prices & Buying Links
For a list of more reviews on digital pianos and other music gear, return to our homepage.