Here’s a complete review of Yamaha P255B 88-Key Digital Piano, its one of the best 88-key digital pianos in its class, especially if you’re keen on top-notch piano sounds and a simplified feature-list.
Table of Contents
PROS and CONS of YAMAHA P255 DIGITAL PIANO
- PROS: 256 note polyphony, Exhaustive connectivity options, Powerful and high quality inbuilt
- CONS: Expensive (it does offer great value for money though), No LCD display (you don’t need it though on this piano)
You can use this piano on-stage, in a concert setting, use it in the studio, or use it at home for your practice sessions.
Yamaha P255 Piano Review
There are several good piano players, who have learnt and played on acoustic pianos for many years, who would prefer to own a nice digital piano because of the convenience it offers (portability of course). However, they don’t want to compromise on the quality of the piano sounds and the keyboard touch, besides they are not really keen to have hundreds of sounds and tons of features on their keyboard. For them, the P-255B is a perfect portable digital piano.
The piano is a bit heavy (graded hammer key action keyboard) but has a beautiful finish that would complement any elegant setting. There are very few buttons on the interface; its designed to be simple to use and meant for playing/practicing the piano.
Most recent model in the P series of digital pianos from Yamaha, this piano has excellent keyboard touch and several authentic piano samples, in addition to the various gig-ready features. The sound quality is much better (simulates the various resonances that are generated on the top-end acoustic pianos).
Yamaha P255 Features
88 Piano Like Keys
The Yamaha p-255 piano features GH Action with Synthetic Ivory Keytops for realistic feel. “Graded” action means the touch is heavier touch in the low end (bass), and lighter in the high end, plus the keys offer excellent stability, response & repetition. Synthetic Ivory keytops make it easier to ‘grip’ the white keys.
It comes with a LED backlit display that makes it easy to see the selections; It has a panel lock feature to prevent accidental changes to your selections.
Sound samples from Yamaha concert grand pianos
The CF Sound Engine provides the sounds of a 9′ concert grand piano (Yamaha’s acclaimed CFIIIS concert grand). Sustain & Key- off samples along with Damper & String Resonance add depth & detail to the sound for excellent piano tone.
Useful features for Live Music Playing
Comes with features like easy- access, 3- band EQ. Sound Boost combines dynamic processing & EQ to make you louder in the mix. You can also turn the internal speakers on or off, depending on the playing situation.
Free P-255 Controller App
Want a rich, graphic, touchscreen interface for your Yamaha P-255 digital piano? Download the free P-255 Controller App from the App Store!
For that, you will first need to connect your iOS device (iPhone, iPad) to your P-255 via an Apple Lightning to USB Camera Adapter/iPad Camera Connection Kit or using a dedicated Yamaha cable such as the i-MX1/i-UX1. Then, download the free Controller App.
You can store and recall your favorite effect, Dual & Split keyboard settings. Browse and control your MIDI & Audio songs on optional USB flash drives, or control the internal drum rhythms.
Yamaha P255: Technical Specs
Here are the main features of the Yamaha P255 88-Key Digital Piano:
- Better action, Graded Hammer (GH) action with Synthetic Ivory keytops
- Upgraded Sound Engine (several top quality piano samples)
- Uses Sustain & Key-off samples, Damper & String Resonance
- Live Music Toolbox – 3-Band graphic EQ, Sound Boost Button , Speaker Kill Switch – makes it suitable for gigs and other situations
- Panel Lock to prevent accidental changes
- 24 Voices with Dual/Split capability
- 3.5mm stereo- mini Aux input & Aux line out
- Free P-255 Controller App that lets your iOS device control several features of this piano
- Optional 3- pedal unit (LP-255) & matching stand (L-255)
- USB TO HOST, TO DEVICE & 5- pin DIN MIDI in/out
- Internal 15w (x2) amplifiers, 10cm + 2.5cm (x2) speakers
- Shipping Weight: 52 lbs
- Available in two different color finishes: Ebony, ivory white
Watch: Yamaha P255 Digital Piano Video Demos
To hear better sound samples of the p-255, you may download this iOS app and listen to the samples that are recorded. Here’s the link – itunes.apple.com
Here are more sound samples.
This piano has some great grand piano sounds, and even the other sounds are fine — rhodes, hammond organ, strings. The good thing is that even the internal speakers are top quality, so you may just use those to practice piano, without having to route it through amps.
Here are some alternatives to the Yamaha P255:
- Yamaha P-155 (one level below this one in the P series pianos)
- Yamaha DGX-660 (Similar to the P255 in tonal quality and touch, but comes with accompaniments and many more features)
- Casio PX-860 (Good Value for Money)
- Yamaha YDP-163 (superb upright digital piano)
Yamaha P255: Prices & Buying Links
Overall, a great digital piano from Yamaha that is sure to impress. Plenty of voice options, 256 note polyphony, graded hammer action keys and the ivory textured finish makes you feel as if you’re playing a real acoustic piano. You can still opt for other Brands, such as Kawai MP or the Casio Privia pianos, but the Yamaha P255 digital piano has a much better sound (simulates the various resonances) and has several gig-ready features. Yamaha P255 comes loaded with features that make this digital piano perfect for all musicians, from the beginner right up to the skilled pianist.
With the Yamaha P255 and its wooden stand, a pedal board, built in speaker system, you have a full-fledged entertainment system. For a list of more reviews on digital pianos and other music gear, return to our homepage.