Yamaha Montage (6, 7, 8) Synthesizers: Features sophisticated dynamic control, massive sound creation and streamlined workflow. You can craft any sound you like, and control it with the expressive Super Knob.
Finally, Yamaha has a worthy successor to the Motif music production synthesizer. Many call the Montage synths as a blend of Motif and DX (two iconic Yamaha keyboards), rolled into one. Yamaha Montage provides deep sound design possibilities & incredible control.
Table of Contents
Yamaha Montage Synthesizers: Pros & Cons
- PROS: Huge Sound Libraries, countless effects, very intuitive, superb build quality, fast operating system
- CONS: Make sure your sustain pedal is compatible. The information displayed on the screen uses very small font size
- BEST USES: Use it for live performance, Arrangement & Composition, Concerts, Electronic Music
Yamaha Montage Synthesizers: Review
It seems, Yamaha is positioning the Montage as their new flagship product, and the keyboard has the features to match.
- The Montage is beautifully designed, easy to see in the dark, well illuminated. The touch screen shows a lot of useful information – for sound design, parameter display, and patch selection.
- The Montage has completely reorganized how you find and organize sounds. All the Sounds can be found in once place. If you want to find a sound, you use the search feature.
- You can assign just about anything to the super knob – sound, effect parameter, etc. It’s all handled intelligently by Montage
With the Super Knob, the assign buttons, and the expressions wheels and motion control, you can add several elements to your sound and song on the fly.
The montage scores in the sound and expressiveness department, and it gets full marks there. The clarity of this instrument is just astounding. Its expressiveness makes you feel as if you’re playing a real instrument, and not a synth. If you appreciate pristine sounds, you will like the Montage.
Experienced keyboardists and arrangers will feel comfortable using the various features, although for learners there’s some learning curve involved to learn detailed features. But then remember, there’s a lot you can do using the knobs and controls; and its pretty self-explanatory.
Yamaha Montage Synth Video Demo
Click here to Buy Yamaha Montage
Yamaha Montage: Various Models
Yamaha Montage Synthesizers include the following keyboards (they vary in the number of keys):
Yamaha MONTAGE6: Flagship Music Synthesizer with 61-key FSX action.
Yamaha MONTAGE7: Flagship Music Synthesizer with 76-key FSX action.
Yamaha MONTAGE8: Flagship Music Synthesizer with 88-key Balanced Hammer action.
Yamaha Montage: Specs
Key features of Yamaha Montage:
- Touch screen
- Motion Control Synthesis Engine that combines two iconic Sound Engines: AWM2 (high-quality waveform and subtractive synthesis) and FM-X (modern, pure Frequency Modulation synthesis). Motion Sequences are tempo-synchronized, completely customizable control sequences that can be assigned to virtually any synthesizer parameter and provide incredible new ways of creating sound.
- Massive Sound Creation. Create dynamic, incredibly expressive new sounds
- Allows variety of methods to add expressions in order to help you create your own unique sound.
- Virtually limitless effects
- USB Audio/MIDI Connection
- Seamless Sound Switching (SSS) lets you change performances seamlessly without any cut-off in envelope or effects.
- A/D input processes external audio sources (mics, guitars or any line source) with your instrument’s internal DSP.
- Eight rotary encoders and faders with step ladder LED
- From high definition reverbs to incredibly detailed Virtual Circuit Modeling (VCM) effects, Montage is loaded
- Live Sets let you organize your Performances however you want without copying, changing order or renaming; quite useful for gigs or for creating your own organization scheme for Performances.
- Montage features professional, stereo balanced outputs with “Pure Analog Circuit” digital to analog conversion.
- MONTAGE comes bundled with Cubase AI (Steinberg’s professional music production software).
If you want inspiration for your music, if you want the best FM synth, do consider this keyboard. If you wish to play a wide variety of real instruments, the Montage is good but Korg can also be a good option.
The Korg Kronos is a good keyboard, n doubt about it; but the Yamaha Montage is also in a league on its own.
If you want a keyboard for live performance, you can also consider Nord or Roland. If you want a keyboard for studio work, you can also do well with a PC and controller. If, however, you want to customize a lot of things and come up with unique sounds, the Montage does give you all the power and flexibility you need.
In short, this board is a master of some things, but not a real jack of all trades like the Motif was or the Korg is. But the keyboard sounds fantastic and can easily compliment your other music production tools.
Yamaha Montage: Buying Links & Prices
With the Yamaha Montage Synthesizers, you can access your signature performances via programming and on-the-fly presets, and easily integrates with DAW software. If you’re a piano player, you may opt for the Montage 8 that comes with proper piano action. The Montage is the perfect combination of power, control and convenience.
The successor of the Yamaha Motif music production synthesizer, Yamaha Montage, provides deep sound design possibilities, incredible control & power & satisfying sounds. Watch our video review here.