The Yamaha Arius YDP 143 Digital Piano comes with a GHS keyboard with matte black keytops. Available in an upright design, it has several features for students as well as teachers. Authentic piano touch and tone that is suitable for all aspiring pianists. Overall, an affordably priced console piano.
Table of Contents
Yamaha Arius YDP-143 Digital Home Piano: Highlights
- Traditional upright-piano look, elegant looks
- GHS graded hammer action plays more like an acoustic piano
- Engineered to sound like a 9′ CFIIIS concert grand
What’s New with Yamaha YDP 143?
The new Yamaha YDP-143 piano replaces the outgoing YDP-142 piano, and comes with the following improvements.
- With YDP143, Yamaha has increased polyphony to 192 from 128 in the previous model.
- Stereophonic Optimizer: This feature enables sound from the headphone to appear to be coming from a slight distance rather than coming directly in ears of the pianist. Free iOS App: Gives you more control over the instrument.
- Appearance: The new model looks more attractive. You can choose from satin white color, dark rosewood and black walnut finishes.
- Matching Bench: The piano comes with a matching bench.
Pros & Cons
- PROS: Value-for-money, trusted brand, good features
- CONS: Limited sound selection, Entry-Level Piano in the ARIUS series
Who Is It For?
- Serious piano learners
- Piano tutors
- Those who want an affordable piano for practicing
The Arius YDP-143 is a value digital piano that provides authentic piano touch (GHS) and a good tone (samples from Yamaha’s CFIIIS 9-foot concert grand piano), which most aspiring pianists desire. The piano provides authentic piano touch that’s a must for any aspiring pianist. Available in an attractive finish, the Arius YDP-143 lends a classic piano look to any home interior.
You can use continuous or half-damper pedal when pedaling on this piano.
The Acoustic Optimizer physically adjusts the acoustical flow, which controls resonances and enriches the overall sound, at any volume.
Capture your performances
Use the 2-track song recorder to capture your performances and play it back, or just use it to create your musical ideas.
Practice with a Friend / Teacher
You can practice with your friend or teacher in total privacy, using the dual headphone jack.
Build your Repertoire
Learn the 50 classic piano songs that are provided in the built-in song memory and also as a music book, “50 Greats for the Piano.”
Here are a few other piano models that you may consider, besides the Yamaha YDP-143:
- Yamaha YDP-163: The next model in the YDP series, it comes with GH3 3-sensor Graded Hammer keyboard (a better keyboard action) with synthetic ivory key tops.
- Yamaha DGX-660: Cheaper than the YDP-143, its a nice digital piano with good features and piano touch
- Casio PX-860: Similar specs to the Yamaha DGX-660, but this one is from Casio.
Here’s video review of the YDP 143 piano:
Specs / Features
Here are the key features:
- Available in rosewood & Black Walnut finish
- Number of Keys: 88. Key Action: The Graded Hammer Standard (GHS). Weighted Keys: Yes
- Built-in Speakers: 2 x 6 Watts
- Pedals: 3 Built-In (as on a real piano)
- Voices of Polyphony: 192
- Number of Sounds: 10. Accompaniments: No. Rhythm Patterns: N/A
- Demo Songs: 10 Demo Songs, 50 Piano Preset Songs
- Split: No. Layer: Yes. Transpose: Yes
- Song Recorder: Yes. Tracks: 2. Songs: 1. Storage Type: Internal
- Metronome: Yes
- Outputs: (2) 1/4″ Stereo Headphone. Inputs: N/A
- Connectivity: USB
Most find this piano very easy to assemble, and are happy with its realistic sounds and keyboard touch. Beginner students & teachers, who want an upright piano from a trusted brand, are happy to use this piano.
What Does the Package Include
Yamaha Arius YDP-143 Includes:
- Bench: Yes (Optional depending on the location)
- Song Book: 50 Greats for the Piano
- Others: Owner’s Manual, Quick Operation Guide
Overall Ratings: Buying Links & Pricing
The Yamaha YDP-143 digital piano comes with GHS keyboard and realistic sounds making it suitable for most beginner piano students.
Have any views on the Yamaha YDP-143? Please share it here.
You can checkout more Yamaha pianos here.
Also Read: Various Yamaha Keyboard actions explained.