A good Music Teacher will help you gain a solid musical foundation whether you’re learning to sing or to play an instrument like piano or guitar.
Should you be taking lessons if you want to play the guitar or want to to learn to play the piano or any other musical instrument?
There are some musicians who have learnt the keyboard without ever going to a teacher but I think you should not take this route, especially if you are a beginner.
It will be a good idea to have a teacher as it will definitely make your progress faster.
Advantages – Music Teacher
- You will learn the correct techniques and posture.
- You will get exposed to a variety of music styles.
- You will be under pressure to practice regularly.
- Lot of teachers have annual student recitals where you get an opportunity to play for an audience, which is very good for your confidence.
- You will also know about some really good books on the subject which the teacher must have acquired over the years.
Qualities of a Good Music Teacher
Finding a good music teacher takes time and commitment. You will have to do some homework and get some references before you decide on one.
You want someone –
- who has very good knowledge on the subject
- who is comfortable playing various musical styles
- who is easy to work with
- who is strict enough to make you do your homework.
It is very common for a lot of players to change two to three teachers in their learning career. Before you decide on taking the lessons, it is advisable to talk to the music teacher and find out his style of teaching, strengths, and weaknesses.
Find the Best Learning Resources here
Here’s a video featuring a Berklee Piano student