When it comes to the top professional arrangers, its always been a tough competition between the Korg keyboards and Yamaha’s keyboards. When Yamaha released the updated version of Tyros, many were expecting a similar response from Korg as well. Finally Korg is out with the Korg Pa4X, an improved version of their flagship arranger workstation keyboard.
Table of Contents
Korg Pa4X: Pros & Cons
- PROS: Upgraded sound engine, styles cover virtually every musical genre, versatile Chord Sequencer, Outstanding effects, Great value for the price, great editing features
- CONS: May need some tweaking of presets for one-man band situations, Limited support for additional Styles and Sounds.
Who Is It For?
- Live gig players and for one-man band situations
- For studio use, as a composition & arrangement tool
Korg Pa4X: Review
It’s your accompanist; your effects engineer; your in-tune background singers. The Pa4X is an all-in-one performance solution designed to deliver on stage. you can use it for composing, recording, and combo use.
Over the years, KORG has produced some of the most popular arranger/workstation keyboards and the KORG Pa4X Professional Arranger carries further this tradition with some cool refinements to the sound quality—and providing enhanced performance capabilities.
Korg says that, after re-examining every aspect of the company’s Professional Arranger series, the Korg Pa4X has been launched with incredible refinements to sound quality and performance capabilities. This is a top-of the line arranger keyboard with powerful features.
If you have always been a Korg fan, or are looking for a top-quality arranger synth, do consider this Korg’s flagship arranger synth! The Pa4X allows you to create larger-than-life solo performances, lets you bring your solo performances to life with realistic styles, instrument articulations and effects. It comes with 7″ tilting touchscreen.
Improved Sound engine
The Pa4X uses KORG’s advanced EDS-X (Enhanced Definition Synthesis-eXpanded) sound engine, features over 1,500 ready-to-play highly detailed sounds (suitable for various music genres).
Highly-articulate solo instruments
KORG’s proprietary DNC (Defined Nuance Control) provides highly-articulate solo instruments. Its partnerships with Waves Audio and TC Helicon means you get top notch audio processing and studio quality vocal effects.
Includes multi-layer stereo grand piano (with damper and body resonance), plus electric pianos from the acclaimed KORG SV-1 Stage Piano.
Several new wind instruments, strings, basses—even acoustic and electric guitars have been added.
All controls on the main panel are nicely positioned, easy to find. The TouchView display is large, tilt-able, the graphical interface is easier to read.
Ins & Outs
The Pa4X gives you several ins/outs, which can be useful in various situations.
Besides the Main Left and Right outputs, the Pa4X includes two additional assignable outputs that allows you to isolate a part for additional signal processing or to feed to an external mixer.
A headphone output is conveniently located on the front panel, microphone input uses an XLR connector, phantom power is available.
Korg Pa4X: Demo/ Video Reviews
Watch: Video reviews
Video demonstrating the wide range of sounds, styles, effects
Video demonstrating the ethnic / world styles & sounds
Korg Pa4X: Technical Specs
Specs of Korg PA4X:
- Available in 61 & 76 keys, semi-weighted keys with velocity sensitivity and aftertouch
- Big 7-inch capacitive TouchView display with tilting system
- Easy-to-use panel layout and good graphical interface
- Massive internal ROM, up to 400 MB of user PCM data
- Over 1,500 sounds, 512 user Sound and 128 user Drumkit locations with full editing features
- Digital Drawbar Organ sound engine
- Three assignable switches, Four-way joystick, Ribbon controller
- Over 500* factory Styles with Intros, Endings, Fills, Count-ins, and Breaks; 4 Keyboard Sets and 4 Pads per Style
- 13 Internal user banks and 13 Direct user banks locations for unlimited storage
- Chord Sequencer function records and loops chord progressions on-the-fly, Chord Sequences can be saved in each Style and SongBook entry
- Search function for quickly locating any musical resource
- New standard MidiFile to Style converter feature (easily have on board styles of the latest songs)
- Complete sample recording and editing features
- Import audio waveforms in the most common formats including Wav, Aiff and SoundFont
- Multiple Effects processors – 142 effect types: 4 Insert and 3 Master effects for accompaniment parts, 1 Insert and 2 Master effects for Keyboard Tracks
- Waves MAXXAUDIO Mastering Suite: MaxxEQ, MaxxBass, MaxxTreble, MaxxStereo, MaxxVolume
- TC-Helicon Vocal Processing: Four-part Harmonizer, Double, uMod, Reverb, Delay, Filter, HardTune, Pitch Correction plus Compressor, EQ, Gate (Adaptive Mic Setting on the Mic input)
- Double MP3/MIDI file players with recording capability, X-Fader and Vocal Remover
- Score, Chords, and Lyric display, Compatible with most common lyrics formats, Lyrics can be showed in their original languages
- Mic/Line Inputs
Mic: Combo XLR balanced with Gain control and Phantom Power, Line 1: Left/Right Jack (1/4″) Line Input, balanced, Line 2: Stereo Mini-jack (1/8″) Line Input, unbalanced
Audio Output: Left/Right, Out 1, Out 2; (1/4″ Jack) balanced; Headphone Output (1/4″ Jack); Video Out (RCA connector)
- MIDI (IN, OUT, THRU standard MIDI connectors, USB to MIDI using the USB Device port)
- Hard Drive: Pa4X 76 (Standard), Pa4X 61 (optional, hard disk installation kit required)
Micro SD card: (Card not included)
USB Flash Drive: (Drive not included), 1 Front panel port, 1 Rear panel port
- Dimensions (W x D x H)
Pa4X-76: 1,192 x 364.4 x 125.56 mm / 46.93″ x 14.35″ x 4.94″
Pa4X-61: 980 x 364.4 x 125.56 mm / 38.58″ x 14.35″ x 4.94″
(without music stand, display fully lowered)
Pa4X-61: 13.9 kg/30.64 lbs
Pa4X-76: 16.3 kg/35.93 lbs
AC Power Cable, Music Stand, Accessory Disc containing the Video Manuals, additional manuals and software utilities
Korg Pa4X: Buying Links & Pricing
The Korg Pa4X Arranger Workstation Keyboard is a powerful, yet easy-to-use arranger workstation with several new sounds & amazing features available in an elegant design. Its from the PA series, Korg’s most respected, and successful series of interactive arranger workstations.
- Korg Pa4X Arranger Workstation Keyboard, 61-Key on zZounds
- Korg Pa4X Arranger Workstation Keyboard, 76-Key on zZounds
Also Read: Korg PA4X vs Yamaha tyros 5