Blue Microphones Yeti USB Microphone reviewed here. Its by far the best condenser microphone (with USB connectivity of course) that can capture pro-quality audio. The mic comes with several options and the best customization that gives you complete control over your recordings.
Table of Contents
Blue Microphones Yeti USB Mic: Pros & Cons
- Pros: Easy to set up. Versatile USB mic. Exceptional Sound quality. Ruggedly built. Gives you four polar patterns to choose from (gives you the best recording quality). Works well with Audacity.
- ConsA bit on the heavier side (weighs over 2 pounds). Plastic knobs. Picks ambiance noise easily
Who Is It For?
The Yeti USB microphone is easy to set up, looks chic and delivers good performance.
You can use it for:
- Recording songs, for videos or animations
- Recording gameplay
- Voice overs
- Conference calls / video conferencing and more.
- For Skype, and more.
This is a good starter mic for voice work (not really for pro work). Its a steal at this price point all though it has issues. It works fine but not built to last long. You will also very likely experience problems with the USB connector the first time. This mic also has lot of gain, and vocals sound best at about 10 inches.
Blue Microphones Yeti USB Mic: Review
The Blue Yeti USB Mic looks great, sounds great, and can really improve the sound quality of you recording. You will need to get the hang of how best to use this mic (e.g. how close to the mic I should be, gain level etc) but you should be able to hear marked improvement in your recordings (no hissing background noise to begin with).
This is definitely among the more popular USB mics out there – thanks to its incredible recording quality (for a variety of purposes). The mic has several modes for various situations. Its flexible, thanks to its three condenser capsules, which work together to create recording patterns that mimic multi-mic setups.
Plug and Play
You can easily connect the Mic to your PC/Laptop/Mac. Its pure PLUG and PLAY – No software is needed, and no setup hassle (just connect the USB cable). You can even use the mic with your Android Device/Phone.
Mind you, its a condenser microphone. In order to get a clean output from this mic, you need to record in a fairly silent environment, else it will pick up ambiance noise. The Mic picks full range of your voice quite well.
For pro recording
Yeti Pro offers dedicated XLR output as well, in addition to USB output. It offers a maximum recording resolution of 192 kHz/24-bit.
It has a small footprint, which makes it suitable even for desktop use. The provided stand is heavy and is of good quality. The base of the stand has sponge on the bottom to avoid marks.
The heavy metal construction and standard threaded mount (for larger stands) makes it more durable (usable for stage or studio use as well).
The cool looking Blue Microphones Yeti USB Microphone is great for superior quality recordings and is quite versatile. You can record anything and you can bet that the Yeti USB Microphone will pick it up. Even from 4ft away, you can be assured of the Yeti picking up and reproducing a crisp clear sound. You can change the settings with the multiple options that are provided for you to tweak with.
Blue Microphones Yeti Microphone: Video Demo / Review
Watch: Blue Microphones Yeti USB video review
Watch: Another video reviewing the Blue Microphones Yeti USB mic
Watch: USB Mics: Review & Audio Comparison – Blue Yeti vs Snowball vs Audio Technica AT2020
Blue Microphones Yeti Microphone: Specs
Here are the main features of Blue Microphones Yeti USB Microphone – Blackout Edition
- Yeti offers zero-latency headphone monitoring (the mic has a headphone jack)
- It comes with headphone volume control, and has a little mute button just in case you need to clear your throat.
- Can record almost any situation with the Tri-capsule array
- Variety options of pattern selection – cardioid , bidirectional, omnidirectional and stereo. In the omnidirectional mode, the mic picks up sound from all directions. In the and a cardioid pattern, the mic pics up sound directly in front of the mic. The mic offers two more recording patterns: a stereo mode, and a bidirectional mode that pulls sound from directly in front or behind the mic.
- More options of gain a control, mute button, zero-latency headphone output
- New total blackout finish adds to the style
- Hassle free set up
- Plug and play: Can seamlessly run on Mac OS X (10.4.11 or higher) and PC (Windows 8.1, 8, 7, vista, XP)
- Made of solid steel metal
Blue Microphones Yeti Microphone: Buying Links & Prices
The original Yeti model works great for most computer-based work/applications, but for serious recording works, you should upgrade to the the Yeti Pro (in fact, all the Blue microphone in this price range are great). Its definitely worth the price, you should also consider getting the filter and the headphone set.
The Blue Microphones Yeti pro mic is definitely among the best USB mics available on the market. If you are looking for a microphone that has excellent clarity and studio like quality, the Blue Microphones Yeti USB Microphone is the one for you. Except for its size, Yeti offers much more to the end user with great sound quality, big sound, better depth and detail.
BLUE mics Yeti mics are compatible with PC and Mac; easily plugs into computer via USB port.