Akai Pro LPK25 25-Key USB Keyboard Controller reviewed here. Compare to other 25-key controllers, the Akai LPK25 is compact in size (measures under 13″ across) but offers useful features (arpeggiator, sustain button, tap tempo) at a competitive price.
This is a great tool for the music producer on the go – its compact & easily fits in a small bag. The transpose feature is very useful as it slides the scale an octave in either direction so essentially you get more notes to play. The only downside probably is that the keys are smaller (I guess done to make it more compact) but doesn’t take long to get used to playing with them.
- PROS: Easy to setup and use, portable, good features, good pricing
- CONS: Keys are smaller in size, Not very sensitive to Velocity
- Uses: Can be part of your ‘mini studio’ setup, good for taking on the road, easy to access device to record ideas anytime/anywhere inspiration hits
When it comes to controllers, many prefer to have a compact one without having to compromise on any features. The Akai LPK25 USB MIDI laptop keyboard is about a foot long but has several features including an arpeggiator, sustain button, and tap tempo. Its a scaled-down version of the MPK series of keyboard performance controllers.
Buy the Akai LPK25 USB MIDI laptop keyboard here
Here are the main features of the Akai Pro LPK25:
- This is a USB-MIDI controller works with virtually all audio software
- Provides expressive performance with computer-based digital audio workstations, sequencers, and more
- 25 velocity-sensitive mini-keyboard keys
- Small enough to fit in a backpack or laptop bag
- Can be used with nearly all music creation software, Pro Tools, Logic, Cubase, Studio One, Reaper, Digital Performer, Ableton, etc
- Built-in arpeggiator provides versatile patterns for your music needs
- Plug-and-play USB connection for Mac and PC; no driver installation required.
- No additional power cable needed as its USB-powered
Sustain button, octave up and down, and tap tempo controls provide you more control over your recordings
Includes editing software for Mac and PC; easily customize the keyboards’ MIDI commands to fit your workflow
- Four programmable memory banks
- Send note information or program changes from keys
Comes with editor software for Mac and PC
Here are some REAL customer reviews:
A Lot for the Price
This one looks and feels very professional, but the the price wasn’t much higher compared to some of the other models out there. Its easy to install! I just plugged in the LPK 25, launched Ableton and it worked automatically.
Can be improved but still the best in its class
The LPK25 has a good build quality and I travel often with it without any problem. the only complain I have is that the midi channel can’t be changed with buttons on the hardware. Still, its the best in its class.
Great feeling keyboard
What I like about it: No drivers needed, sturdy, sustain button, octave buttons.
What I would have liked to have on this one: Arpeggiator is a waste, they should have atleast let me set those buttons up to do something else!.
However, this is much better built, it’s about twice as thick as the Korg nano keys, but still small enough to put in your laptop bag.
The Akai LPK25 USB MIDI laptop keyboard is designed to be small in size but is big on features, with an arpeggiator, sustain button, and tap tempo. Now you can create music anywhere with the Akai Pro LPK25 Laptop Performance Keyboard, easily fits into a laptop case or backpack. Its a great choice for keyboard players who want to work with software on their computer.